Monday, January 14, 2008

Ecoyear: Supporting Household Ecological Transformation

At an EAT LOCAL! Thanksgiving potluck at the Altona Grange, I met Myrto Ashe, who said she was involved with a group of about twenty Boulder mothers who are becoming locavores. That was exciting to hear, a very encouraging sign that people are taking the ideas we've been promoting and running with them!

Since then, Myrto has begun her own weblog (Ecoyear) about transitioning her family to a 100-mile diet. She writes:
I am a 45 year old married mother of three little boys and a practicing family physician. I have dabbled in environmentalism all my life and was a vegetarian as a young adult for reasons of saving planetary resources. Though I try to use recycled paper, lower our thermostat, buy energy-efficient appliances, generally be conscious of our carbon footprint, I have mostly been busy raising my kids and working. However, since viewing Al Gore's film "An Inconvenient Truth", I have been feeling that global warming is now such an emergency that I can think of no higher priority, in each of our lives, along with keeping a roof over our heads and (local) food on our table. So I am making 2008 our "ecoyear." If I can inspire, support, encourage other families - as many as possible - I will have succeeded.

Congratulations to Myrto for her great work!

No comments: